Sunday, January 15, 2017

Dealing with Anxiety

Confession: I have anxiety. 
Definition of Anxiety: mental health disorder characterized by feelings of worry or fear that are strong enough to interfere with one's daily activities.
(Me at Age 4)
There are a lot of worries and fears in my life, which has interfered my daily life. I worry about the future would not go the way like I planned, and I can fear that I cannot handle the failure and unfortunate from the unplanned incidents. Those anxieties lead me to less sleep, binge eating/lost appetite, being anti-social, etc.   

Feeling of anxiety started when I was a junior in high school. I was confused what I wanted to do and struggled with academics. I worried about I can never find the career I love, and scared that I would not be successful. I thought anxiety could get better once I go to college; however, I anxiety IS STILL with me TODAY. (after graduating college and graduate school and start working)

Later, I realized anxiety will continue to exist throughout the lifetime no matter how old I get because there are always something to worry and fear. Life is filled with cycles of challenges. One is solved and another one comes, and sometimes additional difficulties appear before resolving the first one. 

Then, I learned to overcome my anxiety by talking to my future self. When I was in school, I worry about whether I will pass the classes and able to graduate. Now in my professional life, I feel doing school is the easiest thing ever. Work is harder than study. I do not know why I was scared back then

Currently, I am having anxiety about my career path, finance, life partner, etc; however, I am confident that my future self will say "do not know why I was scared. These are the easiest things ever!!"


Here are some of my favorite quotes when I treat my anxiety. 

"Problems are only temporary."
"Life is filled with surprises."
"Live in the present. You can not change the past, and you never know the future. There is no need to not letting go of the past and worrying about the future."

Let's Beat Anxiety and Hope for the Happiness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment