Friday, December 20, 2013

What Holidays Mean to Me

Everyone define holiday differently, and this how I describe it. These are what I like to celebrate it. When people think of holiday, most of them would think "Christmas," there are a lot of other holidays throughout the year, such as Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, Easter, etc.  All national holidays are important for me equally. 

No matter which holiday it is, they all have common meaning and purpose. They can even be the same in other countries' holidays. 

1. Time for Traditions: Each family/person has their/his/her own holiday tradition. Sometimes you don't even recognize it. When I heard some families have their traditions, I thought my family did not. Then I realized we always like to do certain things on Christmas day, we can call them as "traditions." Tradition can be created on purpose and/or formed naturally.  

2. Time for Appreciation/Giving: Thanksgiving is not only holiday for appreciation. Christmas and Valentine's Day are not the only holidays for gift sharing. Gift does not have to be a "object." We show "appreciation" to our lovers and families on Valentine's Day. We express our appreciation on independence on July 4th. We honor Veterans on Veterans' day by giving thanks.


3. Time for Good(Unique) Food: Food must be the best part for any holiday. Cookies for Christmas, turkey for Thanksgiving, chocolates and candies for Valentine, peeps for Easter etc. Most holidays are associated with their own cuisine.  Each country have different holidays, but they all use food to bringing people together. Food is universal and central for all around the world.  

4. Time for Reflection/Remembering/Forgiving/Something NEWI like to do annual personal reviews during holidays. I reflect the past year and sort what I should remember and forgive for the year. Good memories and people I met should be kept, so they will stay with me. Sad memories would be forgotten and bad people would be forgiven. I also like to try something new every year, so I can get a fresh start. 


5. Time for Bonding/Relaxing: During any holiday anywhere, everybody should be surrounded by people they love and feeling relaxed. No one should be alone, working, and/or stressed for this wonderful time of the year. Holiday time is family and friends time and happiness. This is same for every country's significant holidays. 




I will be taking vacation next week and I am very excited for it. I can't wait to share the details of my trip when I get back!!

I wish you a Merry Christmas!!

Xiaoxi Mei 




No comments:

Post a Comment